Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Thanks for the Pod Love

Yesterday I released the 14th episode of my podcast, Stephanie Hoover Has That Story. Each week brings more and more listeners, and I could not be more thrilled or appreciative. 

The decision to create my own podcast was months in the making. Friends, family members and fans who turned out at my personal appearances all urged me to take the leap. But "putting yourself out there" for a two-hour talk is a little different from doing it with a digital audio file that will live on the internet forever. As you can see, though, those fears didn't stop me.

So... here I am, 14 weeks in, and - to be honest - loving every minute of it. And all of you who listen to the podcast each week are the real reason for the success of the show.

If I could, I would visit each one of you to thank you personally. Since that's impossible - and a little "stalker-ish" - you'll have to settle for a blog post group thank you. Trust me, my appreciation couldn't be more heartfelt either way.

Sappy thoughts aside... if you've caught the political fever from this month's two major party conventions, perhaps you're also interested in U.S. political history. It is with that mindset that I produced my episode on the 1934 Kelayres Massacre, one of the bloodiest political chapters in American history. Five men were killed, and 26 men, women and children were injured. Why? Because a nepotistic Republican party boss in a small Pennsylvania mining town realized he was losing power - and he took his frustration out on a group of unarmed Democrat parade marchers.

There are two shocking truths about this case: the first is that very few people knew about this incident before I wrote the book, The Kelayres Massacre: Politics and Murder in Pennsylvania's Anthracite Coal County; and the second is that the political climate of the 1930s is disturbingly similar to ours today. Hopefully, the more people that hear the story, the lesser the chance of such carnage ever happening again.

After you listen to the Kelayres Massacre episode, perhaps you'll listen to my other shows. Recent topics include Rose Mackenberg (Harry Houdini's "right hand woman"), the Pennsylvania Hex Murders and Six Things You Don't Know about the Kennedy Assassination. Visit StephanieHoover.com for all of the links and details.

In the meantime, here is the story of the Kelayres Massacre:

No comments:

Post a Comment